Although they are more expensive then the synthetic varieties, human hair wigs allow for a more natural appearance, whether it’s for every day use or for a stage play. However, when it comes to caring for the wig, just because it’s real hair does not mean you treat it like the hair on your head. There are things you need to do to protect your investment which will allow the wig to look good for years.
1. Protect the wig from an oily appearance by keeping your own hair clean. Besides washing your own hair, you can also wear a wig cap under the wig.
2. Wash a human hair wig infrequently; wear it for about six times between washings. However, if it starts looking oily or dirty, then decrease the wearing time between washings.
3. Remove tangles from the wig before washing. Use a wig pick for a curly wig or a wig brush for a straight wig. Carefully comb/brush through the tangles.
4. Fill a sink with lukewarm water and add wig shampoo. Soak the wig for five minutes in the soapy water. Gently squeeze out excess water. Rinse well in lukewarm water.
5. Place the wig back in the sink. Pour shampoo in your hand and gently massage the wig. Be careful not to overdo the massage. Rinse well in lukewarm water.
6. Pour conditioner in your hand; the amount will depend upon the bottle’s directions. Massage it into the wig and allow to stand for five minutes. Rinse well in lukewarm water. Gently squeeze out excess water.
7. Place the wig in a towel and blot gently to towel dry. Place the wig on the wig stand to air dry. If you need to wear it soon, a human hair wig can be dried with a blow dryer set on low.
8. Comb or brush gently through the wig. Style using hot rollers or curling iron or Velcro rollers. Set with a wig spray or light hairspray.